Wednesday, November 7, 2018

White light

Today I happen to change all the yellow lights in our house to white lights. It suddenly brought back a feeling of nostalgia. I felt absolutely happy just looking at the very brightness of the light. There is something strangely beautiful about the new (old) light. Then I started thinking why such a small thing made me feel so happy. Its not about being big or small, its just that we are desperately trying to reconnect to what we experienced growing up. It was my culture.

Culture is such a big word. We have seen so many arguments happen over this very word in our houses, our communities, our countries etc. what exactly is culture. Is language our culture? whether belonging to a country or a state or a particular region is our culture? Is religion our culture? Is way of living our culture? if any of these can be defined as culture then it should be exactly the same, if any or all of the above is same. But its not. So if I have to explain this in as few words as possible, then I would say

Culture is the summation of everything that we experienced growing up. So it is actually not the language, religion or the region etc. that we belonged to, but what we have perceived from living in a particular set of conditions defines our culture.


No comments:

Tamasoma Jyotirgamaya

This is one of the very common and famous prayers in our scriptures which means "Lead me from darkness to light". I always have a ...